I want to be a motoring journalist!





Petrol Head Heaven, the Stelvio Pass

Picture source: http://www.midlifecyclist.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/stelvio-4-of-24-1024x663.jpg


Petrol head


I am a petrol head. There is no denying of it. Petrol literally runs in my veins. Now that I am very much a man who is free to dabble in my interests. I would like try my hand as a motoring journalist. Albeit an amateur one.


A shortage of car reviews for Singapore


There is clearly a shortage of good motoring review of cars in Singapore especially long term reviews by owners. Other than the odd comment or short review in oneshift.com or in sgcarmart.com, there is hardly any other information source from car owners in Singapore. When I am looking for car reviews, I often have to turn to the British motoring website autocar.co.uk or the US motoring website motortrend.com for objective and professional reviews.


It is often inadequate as these websites review cars that are equipped for the UK or US markets. 


In Singapore, due to the high cost of cars, equipment on cars is often spartan as dealers are afraid to bring in more equipment for fear of further elevating the selling price of the cars. Hence, while very good reviews are written on these websites. Often many of the features in these reviews are not available in Singapore.



Outrageous Prices for Singapore Cars


To put in perspective on how high car prices are in Singapore, I shall put in some numbers over here for new cars sold locally.



Picture source: https://media.ed.edmundmedia.com/honda/civic/2017/ot/2017_honda_civic_LIFE1_ot_1105163_1280.jpg


Honda Civic 1.5  VTEC Turbo Sedan (Price as on 19 Mar 2017)  


SGD $130,000 or USD $92,731.30




Picture source: https://photos-1.carwow.co.uk/models/1600x800/C-Class-3.jpg


Mercedes Benz C-Class C180 Sedan Avantgarde (Price as on 19 Mar 2017)


SGD $184,000 or USD $131, 250.46 



Now let that sink in for a while.


I must be mad to be a petrol head in Singapore.


My motoring credentials


Thankfully, I have travelled and driven extensively in these countries. Hertz and Budget car rentals have allowed me to drive in the following countries:

  • Malaysia
  • Thailand
  • Vietnam (on motorcycle)
  • Western Australia
  • Germany
  • Austria
  • Liechtenstein
  • France
  • Northern Italy
  • Belgium
  • The Netherlands

With the above credentials, and my extensive autobahn experience, I can proudly declare I am an international driver.




My daily ride is Honda Civic Hybrid which I name the Whisperer. 


Yes, some pure petrol heads will cringe now and say it is sacrilege for a petrol head to own and drives a hybrid. I will write a post in the future about why petrol heads should look at hybrids in the future. 


A clue? 


Instant torque is the answer. Instant torque. Nothing that runs purely on petrol can beat that.


Believe me, the Civic Hybrid is a good car and workhorse. This is especially so when you will forget when was the last time you visited a petrol station.



Car Reviews and Driving Destinations


I will be posting reviews on cars that I have driven overseas and some cars that I have tested in Singapore. 


I will also be writing about the countries that I have driven in and hopefully it can provide those who intend to drive them to have some information before hitting the road. All countries have their own road nuances and idiosyncrasies. In my opinion, Singapore roads has the most idiosyncrasies.


If you are feeling generous and would like me to write a review of your car(s). Please feel free to email me at takeflightnow@outlook.com. I will try my best to write a thorough and objective review on them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A friend lost...

I fell in love today..... With a Suzuki Swift Sport...

Posted 'Night Flight' to Evo.co.uk forum