Phone Overboard!




My trusty Nokia E72 had almost met its end yesterday. Just to let you know this blog was written almost entirely on this phone. I do not have a decent computer in my possession except for this phone.

While talking to a GD yesterday over a very late lunch. The phone fell overboard into a bowl of soup. To be precise, a bowl of herbal duck soup. It went head in, and poof...

Display gone, sound gone and vapour all over the screen. I took out the battery immediately and went on to wash the phone of its soup and grease. My heart was pumping all the way.

I put it on GD's dashboard to sun. And prayed. 1 hours later. I tried turning it on... The screen flicked on, graphics garbled..and went off. I took stock of my options, my phone was not due for a replacement till 2 months later. It will cost a bomb to replace it.

Following the advice from this link:
www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tips/4269047

I put the E72 into my camera box. The humidity is 40% in the box. The vapour slowly disappeared, and the next morning. The phone was back to normal...phew. It also managed to track my 5km run on endomondo today.

However, things can always turn for the worse. I am now looking out for a cheap Android based smartphone as a potential replacement. Forget about Samsung Note, HTC Desire etc. Can't afford that.

How much is that HTC ChaCha from the petrol station? How's about that 100 bucks LG? Is that android?...


The plausible replacement...sigh...

Comments

  1. it'll either work or dun work. Since it works it shdnt turn for worse for a while. Dun worry. Brilliant idea. Just wondering if there is another method for those without a camera box

    ReplyDelete
  2. The corrosion may still carry on... as the duck soup contains salt. I am still crossing my finger and will continue placing the phone in the camera box every night till it is completely dry.

    Alternative? Tupperware with silica gel. Which is actually what my camera box is.:P

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there is no moisture, there is no corrosion so make sure it's dried out totally. even corrosion takes time. you did well to do this promptly. That's prob what saved it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A friend lost...

I fell in love today..... With a Suzuki Swift Sport...

Posted 'Night Flight' to Evo.co.uk forum