The Running Robot: The Infantryman Part 1


I gave up running after I left the track and field team during my final year of my Junior College years. Running was rare and almost nil unless there was a need to participate in a physical fitness test.

As every Singaporean boy would have to be conscripted for 2 years (2.5 years in my case) service when they reach 18 years of age, I was drafted into the army in 1997. Initially, I found it hard to adjust to the regimental life. My boot camp (Basic Military Training) at Nee Soon Camp passed by miserably as I failed almost every test that they threw at me. I couldn’t run, shoot, conduct drills or even a do a jumping jack. I know I was having a hard time adjusting and there were several crises in my family and life at that time. It was tough and I really didn’t know how I managed to get through it. In fact, I ended my boot camp with an injured ankle and watched the Passing Out (Graduation) Parade by the sidelines.

Life does work in very strange ways. After one week of leave after graduation from the Boot Camp. I went back to the barracks to get my new posting orders. Knowing that I have failed every test the army has given me. I gave up hope that I would ever be the hero soldier which I thought I would be since childhood. I thought I would get a posting to backend as a clerk or some other non-combat position. I even thought that I will probably be going home to stay after getting my postings. This is because most non-combat positions do not require the soldier to stay in camp.

“Recruit Hoo, you have been posted to 4 SIR.” yelled Sergeant Jonas.

 “That’s it for you.” He exclaimed while shaking his head.

He couldn’t believe it either. I have been posted to an infantry battalion, the 4th Singapore Infantry Regiment.
I almost broke out in tears. It has been such a tough time during Boot Camp. I couldn’t imagine how I am going to tolerate the same kind of life for 2 years plus. It was like a death sentence to me.

The Army 3 tonner came and took me to my new home. Lim Chu Kang Camp, a desolated place among the cemeteries. Yes, there are rural areas in Singapore. And this is one of most rural.
Checking into the camp hall where the rest of the newly posted guys were being held. We waited there. We waited and waited. Night came, and we were sent to a temporary bunk where we stayed overnight. And the next day, we waited again. After the hectic life, during Boot Camp, the waiting was something very strange.  I did not know at that point, that waiting was the bread and butter of real soldiering. Patience is a virtue, and the army drills you on it.

Finally, we were asked to gather at the parade school and we were given a briefing. Various Platoon Commanders (2nd Lieutenants) and Section Commanders (3rd Sergeants) began telling us what their Platoons were about. I was in Support Company. I could choose between being a Scout, Pioneer (Combat Engineer), Mortar man, Signaler, or an Anti-Tank Guided Missile Operator. It was a strangely democratic process. We had free will to choose.

Since I was technically inclined, I chose to be an Anti-Tank Guided Missile Operator. A menber of the ATGM Platoon in Support Company, 4 SIR. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A friend lost...

I fell in love today..... With a Suzuki Swift Sport...

Running as a form of transportation